Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

2nd Weekly Post

 I babysit a lot to earn money. And every time I babysit, I am amazed about how different little kids are from teenagers and adults in the way that they think. Some times I babysit for a 8 month old boy and I every time I say anything his face will light up, as if he truly appreciates the magic of words. When we speak we don't think about how amazing words are, how they roll out of our mouths and is our manner of communicating. If only we we were as amazed with words as the 8 month old.When I babysit for children a bit older, mostly aged 2 and 3, I love how curious and interested they are about the world around them. Once I took a walk with a 2 year old girl and she asked me many questions about the environment, such as " Why is the sky blue?" and " Why do birds move together?" When I couldn't give her an answer, she would think for a long time and offer her own. For example she would say " it is probably blue  because the rain turns it that color" and "they move together,so they won't get lost." Although these may not be the correct answer, just the thought that she was so interested and almost concerned proves how determined and intelligent young children are. If you hand a young child a simple toy, they can play with it for hours without getting bored. Just the other day, I gave a 4 year old girl some bubbles and we played with them for 3 and a half hours. As teenagers we are exposed to so many different forms of technology and even with all that we still get bored. It is pretty sad how I get bored with a phone and laptop, but the 3 year old is entertained for hours with just some bubbles.  Adults tend to doubt the intelligence of young children. Although adults may know more things, young children are intelligent and posses character traits that many people, including myself, can learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment